Facts About The Gospel Lighthouse
On January 23, 1940, a group of 30 people met
and organized the nucleus of what became The Gospel Lighthouse
A huge circus tent was rented and for almost a
year members worshipped in the tent church on the very spot where the new
Gospel Lighthouse Church building now stands.
The entire 1900 block of South Ewing Avenue in
Dallas became property of the church, including a home on the south side
where the maintenance man lived. A square block just back of the
church, from Georgia to Louisiana was purchased for a parking lot.
April of 1943, a daily Prayer Group was organized with 200 hours of
pledged prayers going before God for the hundreds of requests that
came into the office each day.
The most imperative problem faced
immediately after first organizing the church was locating a place
For a few weeks the 30
member congregation met in the auditorium of the Roger Q. Mills Elementary
School. Then a large circus tent with a sawdust floor was rented and
erected on the exact spot where the new (1st building) was under
construction. The church met in the tent for almost one year while
construction of a permanent place of worship was in progress.
Brother Hibbard was janitor,
contractor, builder and preacher at that time. The debts were large
and the funds low, but they were reminded of the poem, Fight On:
If all were easy, if all were bright,
Where would the cross be?
Where be the fight?
But in the hard place, God gives to you
Chances for proving what HE can do!
During a bitter cold night in December the workers were frantically
trying to get a sub-flooring and some forms up to break the biting wind.
For several weeks the work had not ceased on the new building.
As Brother Hibbard, clad in khaki pants, high-top boots and leather
gloves was hammering away, working with the rest of the men on the night
shift, a frantic mother came dashing up the ladder bringing with her an
only son with a twisted arm. The child was unable to move either his
hand or arm. Brother Hibbard, together with a number of men who were
working, removed their hats and prayed a simple prayer, asking the Lord to
heal the boy. Just as he turned to resume his work, shouts of joy
rang and echoed through the stillness of the night. Everyone turned
around and with tears streaming down her cheeks, the mother shouted, "God
has healed my boy!" About that time the boy picked up a hammer and
began pulling nails from a piece of lumber. His arm and hand had
been instantly made perfectly whole. That was the beginning of the
ministry of divine healing at the Gospel Lighthouse Church.
First Gospel Lighthouse Building
|By January 23, 1941,
the first church that would seat 600 people with a full basement
below was completed. The large circus tent that for several
months had served as a temporary church was vacated. A tornado
that came during those desperate days with murky clouds and
terrifying wind. The lightning through the dark clouds was
devastating and the strong winds worked havoc on everything in its
path. Brother Hibbard ran out into the storm in an attempt to
loosen the tent ropes and secure the stakes, but the storm collapsed
the tent just as he got there, tearing a huge hole that required a
large repair bill. So when the new church was completed and
the tent could be taken down, they were filled with joy and praised
God for what had been accomplished. Approximately 3 years
later notes were paid, clearing the church of all indebtedness.
The crowds increased and God's
blessings continued. Additional lots were purchased for church
parking until finally all the lots in the 1900 block of South Ewing Avenue
were purchased for church use. As Pastor and Nell Hibbard sought the
Lord, they felt impressed to believe Him for additional time on the air
over radio station KSKY.
The Radio Ministry
|Brother Hibbard had conducted a program on
Sunday only for a couple of years, but as they prayed, they felt the
assurance that God was going to give them more air time for the Gospel of
Jesus Christ. On December 6, 1942,
they started their first daily broadcasts, except Sunday. The
needed finance for the first week of radio time was literally paid
for in pennies. Every service the people emptied their pockets
and purses of any pennies they might have, and thus the good work
For the first few weeks, Nell Hibbard answered all the mail, but as
time went on, one full-time stenographer was hired. Then as
the mail increased, additional secretaries were added.
In April of 1943 a daily prayer group was organized. The war
was raging at that time and many mothers, fathers, wives and others
found their way to the alters of The Gospel Lighthouse Prayer
Band. God in His infinite love and mercy comforted, worked
out problems, encouraged believers and healed all manner of sickness
and diseases. The Prayer Band pledged to pray for hours each
day as hundreds of requests poured into the church office.
They were each placed on request sheets and the Lord was sought in
earnest and sincere prayer regarding each individual prayer request.
The prayer requests mailed in for the year of 1944 numbered 88,922, in
1945 they reached 106,102, in 1946 there were 186,512, in 1947 there were
214,758, in 1948 there were 197,673 and in 1949 there were 224,315
requests for prayer sent in.
The results were very encouraging. Thousands of testimonies
were on file at the church office that had been sent in from
listeners telling of miraculous deliverances from all types of
sickness, malignant diseases, and various afflictions and
infirmities. Thousands of testimonies with details of
miraculous deliverance from habits, such as alcohol craving and
tobacco were received after the requests were prayed over.
Mail began coming from all parts of the United States and some from
Canada, Central America and other areas of the world. Every
letter was answered.
A commissary was maintained to help the under-privileged and destitute.
Clothes, shoes, bedding and other necessities were supplied so far as
possible. The welfare workers donated their time and all calls were
investigated. The most needful things were supplied first.
During Christmas an extra effort was made to supply more needs and many
bulging baskets filled with nutritious food were delivered to
poverty-stricken families. Inadequate space greatly hindered the
work in this department, but in the new Gospel Lighthouse more room would
The New Gospel Lighthouse Building
|After months of prayer seeking God's guidance and hours
each day of planning, Rev. J.C. Hibbard designed the new Gospel Lighthouse
building and then took his simple basic sketches on plain writing paper to
a professional architect to draw plans. However, after going over
his sketches and after speaking with Rev. Hibbard about his
intensions for the structure, the architect said that it couldn't be done.
Well, this was the wrong thing to say to J.C. Hibbard, only because he
knew he had been given exact instructions from the Lord. One of his
favorite poems was called It Couldn't Be Done:
it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied,
Maybe it couldn't but I wouldn't be the one to say so till I tried.
So he buckled right in with a bit of a grin, and if he worried, he hid it
And he started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn't be done, and he did it.
There's thousands to tell you it cannot be done
There's thousands to prophecy failure,
There's thousands to tell you one by one the dangers that await to assail
But with a lift of the chin and a bit of a grin, if he doubted he quit it.
And he started to sings as he tackled the thing,
That couldn't be done and he did it.
Up until 1948 the "Self-Supporting Dome" was only a theory in the
schools of architecture and engineering throughout the world. At
that time in our architectural history, spans over large areas more than
30 feet or so were made by large, bulky wood or steel beams supported by
interior columns. There was a theory that larger spans could be made
by mathematically calculated domes or elliptical structures that could
support their own weight without collapsing, provided they were made with
the right materials. These "Self-Supporting Domes" at that time in
our history were possible in theory only since nothing like this had ever
been done before.
J.C. Hibbard had exceedingly strong faith in God and knew that he had
been given these instructions from Him personally. In fact, there
weren't even any plans such as these available in any textbook or
engineering manuals anywhere in the world at that time. So this
young preacher, knowing that God never does anything second class, set out
to do what was only theory or "impossible" to design since there were no
city, county or state codes available to use as construction guidelines
After extensive research, meetings and
discussions with other architects, designers and engineers, his architect
eventually told him that he could indeed draw the plans and obtain the
permits, but he would need $10,000.00 to accomplish this task. That
was a lot of money at that time. Rev. Hibbard told him to design and
draw up the plans, and when he was finished, he would have the $10,000.00.
It took several months, but when the plans had finally been drawn,
Rev. Hibbard handed the architect the money and immediately launched
the building program.
In 1948, approximately
4,000 people were present for the ground breaking ceremony for the
new Gospel Lighthouse Church. With every branch and department
of the current church overcrowded, the construction of the new
building soon began. The general structure was to be unique
and made round in the shape of a lighthouse. It was the only
type of construction if its kind anywhere in the United States.
Three main entrances with three double-doors made of heavy plate
aluminum and brass were planned. The tower would be covered
with aluminum and have a revolving effect neon tubing enveloping it.
A full basement was
planned for large assembly halls and approximately 50 Sunday School
rooms in addition to commissary space and a prayer room 24 feet wide
and 60 feet long where an unbroken prayer chain would be going 24/7
for all the thousands of requests mailed and phoned in. After
several months of construction, the new Gospel Lighthouse building was completed.
● From the ground to the top of the
tower is 79 feet and 2 inches high plus a full-size basement below.
● A wall 10 feet high, one foot thick and 3,241 feet long could be
made from the amount of concrete used in the construction of the
● Alter space occupies 2,568 feet in
various parts of the building.
● There are 5,341 feet of cold cathode neon
tubing in the building.
● Five large rooms were set aside
exclusively for prayer and supplication to the Lord.
● 110 tons of iced air furnishes air
conditioning for the summer and steam heat is provided for the winter.
● 30,366 square feet of floor space was
utilized for comfort and a spiritual atmosphere.
● The Civil Defense Department in Dallas
designated and classified the building as an effective bomb shelter during
the "Cold War" in case of air raids.
The main auditorium was round with a
balcony and mezzanine floor. The large circular dome of the
main auditorium was self-supporting and equipped with circular coves
for indirect lighting. The 30,266 square foot building cost
nearly a half-million dollars to complete and was fully paid for
prior to the dedication service. There was a record-breaking
crowd of 2,973 in Sunday School that morning. With extra seats
the main auditorium would seat approximately 2,000 people.
What all the experts said couldn't be done was now a reality and
changed engineering textbooks and design manuals worldwide. Was it
strong? It was so strong, so well designed and constructed that soon after
city inspections the Civil Defense Department in Dallas designated and
classified the building as an effective bomb shelter during the "Cold War"
in case of air raids.
A modern tiny tot nursery with baby beds,
water fountain, loudspeakers and other conveniences for both mother and
baby was on the south side of the building so that mothers could enjoy the
service even when their baby was crying.
In the basement of the church is one of five Prayer Rooms located in
various parts of the building.
One of the first bands at the
Left to right are J.C. Hibbard, Jr., Walter Powell,
Clarence Powers, Archie Lewis, J.D. Fallis and E.L. Musgrave
The Hibbard Family
Left to right are J.C. "Sonny" Hibbard, Jr.,
Delores "Dee" Hibbard-Hutcheson,
J.C. Hibbard, Sr., Nell Hibbard, June Marie Hibbard-Underwood,
Darlene Hibbard-Walker and Jaynell Hibbard-Songstad
The Hibbard Family web page and hear
recorded music by The Hibbard Family, old Gospel Lighthouse radio broadcasts and
recorded sermons by Rev. J.C. Hibbard, Sr.
|Since January, 1940, the Gospel Lighthouse has been
instrumental in bringing people to Christ and an outlet for God's ability.
In 1972, relocation was needed to make the Lighthouse more accessible to
the hundreds of people coming from various parts of the metroplex.
So Pastor J.C. Hibbard, Sr. led the move by Divine direction to West
Illinois and Loop 12. From the procurement of the property and to
the completion of the facilities, one miracle after another proved God's
involvement. Debt-free, the 4.5 million-dollar Lighthouse was as a
monument of God's power working then as in the many previous years.
After several months of unsuccessful searching, one
Saturday morning when seeking God's Divine guidance for a church site,
Rev. Hibbard remembered that in the Bible lots were cast to ascertain
God's will. So he prayed for God to direct the movement of a coin he
proposed to toss on a Dallas aerial map.
The previous night, unknown to Rev. Hibbard, both
his daughters, Jaynell and Darlene, and his wife, Mrs. Hibbard had admired
the picturesque property overlooking beautiful Mountain Creek Lake and
remarked to each other its marvelous potential for a new church home.
The tossed coin had landed on exactly the same property at the
intersection of Illinois and
Loop 12 (Walton Walker).
The following Monday, Pastor and Mrs. Hibbard stood
on the proposed building site and by faith claimed the location for the
new Gospel Lighthouse Church. In November of 1972 the sale for the
tract of approximately seven acres of land was finalized.
The late R.F. Walker worked for several weeks with a
large bulldozer to clear the land. He and several others marked the
beginning of thousands of hours of skilled and unskilled donated labor,
which made a large contribution toward the financially miraculous
building. The first service in the new Gospel Lighthouse was in
Located on Loop 12 and Illinois, the Gospel
Lighthouse is easily accessible from anywhere in the metroplex. Its
highest elevation in the city of Dallas enables the 85-foot lighted tower
to be seen for many miles.
|In 1961 the Full Gospel Holy Temple was established. In 1963,
Apostle & Evangelist Shirley Murray aired "Broadcast of Deliverance" over
radio station KHVN and was heard throughout the United States and around
Due to the increase in membership, in March of 1975,
Apostle & Evangelist Murray led the congregation to the former Gospel
Lighthouse Church building at 1900 South Ewing Avenue in Dallas.
In 1979 another milestone with the FGHT ministry unfolded when the
doors of Lobias Murray Christian Academy were opened to the public.
FGHT "Broadcast of Deliverance" is currently telecast on the Daystar
Television Network and Word Network.
|The Gospel of Jesus Christ is being preached today in this unique and
historical building. It is now the home of Faith Memorial Church
under the ministry of Pastor Larry and Sister Rosetta Jefferson.
1990, the Lord led Pastor and Sister Jefferson to move His people from
3822 Boulder Drive in Dallas to a larger place to worship and March 9,
2003, they were led by the Lord to move to the previous Gospel Lighthouse
Church at 1900 South Ewing Avenue.
Vision Regeneration, CEO Minister Omar Jahwar, was formed in 1997
through the Faith Memorial Church ministry. It serves at risk youth
while socially transforming ex-offenders into the mainstream of society
through ministry, mentoring and hands on intervention and is currently
providing employment for at risk youth and ex-gang members.
Women Of Color In Crisis, CEO, Evangelist Carolyn Loud, provides
gender-specific and culturally sensitive HIV prevention programs to modify
at-risk behavior and the health of racial and ethnic minority women, youth
and adolescent girls in underserved communities.
Operation H.O.P.E. (Helping Other People Excel) is a ministry of Sister
Rosetta Jefferson created to eliminate hunger and poverty. This
ministry consists of an information and referral center, educational
scholarships, holiday baskets and back to school supplies for those that
are in need.
With the foundation laid and with the help of the Lord and Savior Jesus
Christ, the Faith Memorial C.O.G.I.C. is serving the community.
Home Page |
Hibbard Family Ministry |
Rev. J.C. Hibbard
Sermons | Rev.
J.C. Hibbard Music